Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Winter wonderland

I love winter. I love snow. I don’t necessarily love the frigid temperatures we get here in central Ohio, but the white stuff that comes with it is nice. I like cool temperatures because of the abundance of clothing and accessories that are necessary to deal with it. I like jackets and coats a lot – just ask my lovely wife.

I’ve got a black pea coat (I now wish it was navy), a vintage army parka (a nod to my scootering pastime), an olive drab MA-1 flight jacket, a vintage USA-made Lands’ End “Squall” jacket (thrifted for $4.99!), a much-loved Old Navy jean jacket, a Columbus Crew rain jacket, and more that I just can’t think of right now. Of course, I have a few blazers and sport coats. Our coat closet is jam packed and the coat rack is overloaded. Always.

Still, I find myself always on the lookout for new (old) outerwear. Right now I’m hoping the thrift stores shine upon me a Barbour coat. My luck will most certainly be that I find one that is either the wrong size, or just too beat up to pay money for.

Along with my love for jackets, I just can’t have enough scarves. I have at least 4 or 5, and that doesn’t count my collection of football* scarves. My lovely wife gave me my first cashmere scarf a few years ago. I love it but I’m always afraid my stubble is going to tear it to shreds – you should see what it does to my shirt collars.

My newest scarf acquisition wasn’t thrifted but it is pre-owned. My mom gave me a scarf for Christmas that belonged to my grandfather. It’s all-wool, burgundy with a golden windowpane pattern and best of all, it’s made in Scotland. I wish I knew exactly how old it is. I’m guessing late 60’s or early 70’s. It just screams “old school.” Most of what my grandfather did screamed “old school” and I can only hope that some day my boys say that about me.



* By football, I mean soccer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment